Hand sanitizers(HS) are efficient and inexpensive goods that can decrease the numbers of microorganisms on the skin, but ingesting or inappropriately using these products can produce health risks. Researchers; Cynthia Santos, MD; Stephanie Kieszak, MPH; Alice Wang, Ph.D.; Royal Law, Ph.D.; Joshua Schier, MD; and Amy Wolkin, Ph.D conducted experiments on the safety of hand sanitizers.
The CDC states that hand sanitizers are not as effective when hands are visibly dirty or greasy. It is well known in the world of chemistry that several hand sanitizers contain large percentages of alcohol. Some of these hand sanitizers have up to 60%–95% of ethanol or isopropyl alcohol by volume, and are often combined with pleasant smelling scents that might be appealing to young children. If soap and water are not available, using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can quickly reduce the number of germs on hands in some situations, but sanitizers do not eliminate all types of germs and might not remove harmful chemicals.
Recent reports have identified serious consequences when someone ingests hand sanitizing products. Risks include cessation of breathing, producing an excess of acid in the blood, coma, and even death in young children who drank copious amounts of hand sanitizers.
Here are some tips that might save lives:
*Consider purchasing hand sanitizers that are difficult for small children to open.
*Consider placing sanitizers high up in a cabinet, where it is difficult for the young child to reach. *Storing potentially toxic items "up high" are typically better than placing them on a sink top or in the cabinet space under the sink.
*Keep the number for poison control handy-1-800-222-1222
*If the child collapses, has a seizure, has difficulty breathing or can't be awakened: CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY